This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2010)
Pathway is a Volunteering|voluntary, Charitable organization|charitable, nonprofit and non-governmental organisation, based in Chennai, India - which serves children and adults without any bias to religion, caste, creed, or any other consideration. Founded in 1975 by Dr. ADSN Prasad, now provides services to children with mental and learning disabilities, adult mental handicap, and orphaned and destitute children of rural south India.
Guided by Dr. ADSN Prasad's philosophy - "Every individual should be given the opportunity to utilise their potential in order to live with dignity and self-respect, regardless of mental or physical limitations", Pathway seeks to serve the poorest of the poor by providing the best
Pathway began in 1975 with just two children in a small, rented house in Chennai, India. sought to fill the void existing in the care and rehabilitation of mentally ill children. From these humble beginnings grew an organisation that has served almost 22,000 children and adults in two city centers and a rural agricultural farm.
1. Pathway Centre for Rehabilitation & Education of the Mentally Retarded - Chennai
2. Pathway Centre for Vocational Training & Education - Koothavakkam
Purpose of the above two facilities is to provide comprehensive care and educational opportunities for mentally ill children. Pathway is founded on the philosophy that every individual should be given the opportunity to utilise their potential in order to live with dignity and self-respect, regardless of mental or physical limitations. Today over 100 children receive full care at the live-in facility, while another 300 children are seen on daily basis for rehabilitation and educational programmes.
In Pathway, all children are served for free, without any charges. Prior to being admitted to the centre's Day or Residential program, each child is thoroughly screened and evaluated to assess their level of mental, neurological and physical development. These methods of testing and observation assist in designing a special education and vocational programme for each child.
Pathway's goal is to offer medical care, special education and vocational training to as many mentally and physically disabled children and adults as possible. During the last 27 years Pathway has served more than 14,000 children and adults with various problems and disabilities.
3. Pamela M.Martinez/Pathway Agro-Farm For Children
Pamela Martinez/Pathway Agro Farm for Children named after its donor is located in a large 60-acre (240,000 m2) agro farm in Agili, Madhuranthakam Taluk, Kancheepuram District. This farm houses a large orphanage, home to more than 200 children, a well organised and well run English medium Matriculation Residential school, recognised by the Directorate of Matriculation Schools, Govt. of Tamil Nadu. The children are offered high class facilities such as swimming, yoga, music, good recreational facilities, quality education, total medical care, etc. in an eco-friendly environment. A "HOSPITAL ON WHEELS" is also run from this facility serving a large number of poor villagers around the agro farm.
The organisation has great plans to help hundreds of needy children in all ways, we need your help in our humble endeavour. This facility will be the first one to use agriculture as a major medium of therapy and it can offer a rare opportunity to children to grow their own food and learn to use modern cultivating techniques.
This facility is planned to assist the disabled and disadvantaged children of India.
- Special Education
- Speech Therapy and Audiology
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy
- Medical, Dental Care & Treatment
- Psychiatric Out-Patient Services
- Neurological and Paediatric Services
- Residential Day Care Units
- Day-Care Programmes
- Pre-Vocational Training Programmes
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- Literacy Initiative for Slum Children
- Recreational Therapy
- Employment of the Disabled & Social Enterprise Projects
- Award for "Services Rendered to the Mentally Disabled" Council of Parent's Association of the Mentally Retarded, Chennai 2002.
- "Vocational Excellence" Award to A.D.S.N. Prasad for his services to the Disabled - Rotary Club International, 1999.
- 1998 Award for "Most Outstanding Institution in India Serving the Disabled" and "Most Outstanding Employer of the Disabled in India" - Prime Minister of India, Mr. Atal Behari Vajpayee.
- "Best Institution Serving the Disabled" - Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Ms. J. Jayalalithaa, 1995.
- "Best Employer of the Disabled" - Social Welfare Minister, Government of Tamil Nadu, 1995.'
- "Best Employees" awarded to two Special Pathway Employees - Social Welfare Minister, Government of Tamil Nadu, 1995.
- "Exceptional Contribution for Services to People" Government of Karnataka, 1995.
- "Services Rendered to the Mentally Disabled in India" - Japanese SIVUS Council, 1993.
- Pathway Official Site
- Pathway centre for Rehabilitation & Education of the mentally retarded, India
- BYPD Listing